How To Record Internal Audio on Mac: 5 Simple Ways (2022)
Let's admit it. Recording internal audio on Mac isn't as easy as recording external audio.
In order to live stream games, record tutorials, and presentations, you should be able to capture both the internal audio (from YouTube videos, games, etc) along with the external audio (from your microphone).
It's easy for Mac users to record external audio with the help of QuickTime Player, a built-in Mac OS program. But, capturing the internal system sound is difficult in Mac as QuickTime Player does not capture the internal sound from the computer.
That's why Mac users need the help of an external screen recorder to record both internal and external audio simultaneously.
How To Record Internal Audio on Mac?
Anyone trying to purchase a screen recording tool can easily get confused or misguided as there are so many screen recording tools available online. Only a few screen recording tools actually allow users to record internal audio.
So, make sure you check the following before purchasing a screen recording software:
- Check whether it's easy to use,
- Check whether it fits your budget and
- Make sure its features suit all your requirements.
To make things easier, we have compiled a comprehensive list of the top 5 audio recording tools available for Mac users. In today's post, we teach you how to record internal audio on Mac in a simple 5 step process. We also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each product to help readers get a proper idea.
List of Best Internal Audio Recording Tools
2. Easy Audio Recorder Lite
5. QuickTime Player + Blackhole
1. How to Record Internal Audio on Mac using Vmaker
Vmaker is a screen recording software that allows users to record, edit, download, and share videos effortlessly. It provides unlimited storage and no watermark added. Both Mac users and Chrome users can make use of the tool as it's available in two forms - as a Screen Recorder Chrome Extension and a Mac Screen Recorder.
- Records both internal and external audio on Mac
- Provides unlimited cloud storage
- Comes with no watermarks
- Cancels background noises
- Virtual Background for Webcam Overlay
- Available in multiple languages,
- Comes with Screen, Webcam, and Screen + Webcam recording features,
- Allows even its free users to record videos in 720P quality (Upgrade for 4K)
- Certain features could only be unlocked when you upgrade to a premium account.
Steps involved in recording internal system sound on Mac using Vmaker
- Step 1: In order to understand how to record internal audio on Mac using Vmaker, you need to sign up and create an account in Vmaker. Once you've successfully registered, you will be able to download the software as a plug-in.
- Step 2: Click on the 'Download' option. You will be directed to a pop-up box with two options. Select the 'Mac OS' option and proceed.
- Click on the downloaded file.
- You will be taken to a screen where you'd be asked to drag and drop the software into the folder. Drag and drop Vmaker into the 'Applications' folder.
- Step 3: Now, you can pin the software to your browser to make it more accessible. Click on the plug-in and "pin" Vmaker. Once the plug-in is pinned to the browser, it becomes easier for users to access it. You simply need to click on the plug-in to start recording.
- Step 4: Whenever you feel the need to record anything, click on the plug-in and select 'Start Recording'. Vmaker gives you three exclusive options and allows you to record the following.
- Both (Screen + Webcam) simultaneously.
- Step 5: Once you're done with your recording, click on 'Stop Sharing'. The recorded file will be automatically saved in your Vmaker dashboard. Now, you have the flexibility to Edit, Download, and Share the recording. There's also a 'Duplicate' option available in case you need a backup of an original file. It's always safe to duplicate your file before editing to avoid losing necessary portions that could get cut in the editing process. This would be of great help for YouTubers, gamers, bloggers, and online tutors. They will be able to record their videos on Mac using Vmaker.
2. How to Record Internal Audio on Mac using Easy Audio Recorder Lite and Soundflower
Easy Audio Recorder Lite is a lightweight easy-to-use audio recording tool. It is available for download for both Windows and Mac users. In order to capture the internal system sound, you need the help of additional software (like Soundflower or Blackhole). It also helps users share the recorded files with others via email and records audio in four major formats:
- CAF and
- Lightweight (doesn't take too much of your storage space),
- Shareable via email
- Needs external software like Soundflower
Steps involved in recording internal audio on Mac using Easy Audio Recorder Lite and Soundflower
- Step 1: Download 'Easy Audio Recorder Lite' from the app store and install it on your computer. Make sure you also download Soundflower. Now, your system needs to use soundflower to reroute the internal audio. In order to do this, you need to change the audio output source in your system preferences.
- Step 2: Go to system preferences and select the 'Sound' icon. Then, click on the 'Output' tab. This is where you can select the device you'd like to choose for sound output. Select 'Soundflower (2ch)'.
- Step 3: Now, you need to select soundflower as your main recording device in 'Easy Audio Recorder Lite'. Open the application and select 'Soundflower (2ch)' as your input device.
- Step 4: You will be directed to the recording screen, where you will have various options to customize your recording. Once you're ready for the recording, click on the 'Record' button.
- Step 5: Once you're done recording, click on 'Stop' and make sure you save it for future reference.
3. How to Record Internal Audio on Mac using Audacity and Soundflower
Audacity is an open-source audio editing software mostly downloaded by musicians and podcasters. It is free to download and supported by both Mac and Windows operating systems. This audio editing software allows users to play, record, edit, import, and export MP3, AIFF, and WAV files. Audacity allows users to record both internal and external audio from their computers.
- Noise removal feature
- VST plug-in effects
- Bass Boost feature
- Comes with a built-in frequency analysis window
- A built-in amplitude editor and
- Available in multiple languages
- Requires an additional software that has to be downloaded
- Cannot be used to record videos
Steps involved in recording internal audio on Mac using Audacity and Soundflower
- Step 1: Download Audacity from the official website. Along with audacity, you should also download an additional tool like Soundflower.
- Step 2: Once you've downloaded both Audacity and Soundflower, head over to System Preferences and select 'Sound'. You would be asked to select a device for sound output. Select 'Soundflower (2ch)'.
- Step 3: You are now free to record audio using the Audacity software. Open the software and choose 'Soundflower' as your recording device. In order to start recording, go to 'File' and create a new project. In the top left corner of the screen, you will be able to see the Pause, Play, and Record buttons. Click on the red ‘Record’ button to start recording. Once you're done recording, you can stop the recording by clicking on the 'Stop' button (square-shaped button).
- Step 4: Now you are free to edit your recordings according to your own preference. Once you're done with the editing process, you can save the files in any of the following formats (WAV, MP3, or AIFF).
4. How to Record Internal Audio on Mac using Recordit
Recordit is a free screencast tool that helps users create audio presentations and gifs seamlessly. It allows users to record screen audio for 5 minutes. If you subscribe to the pro version, you will be able to unlock features such as password protection and screen preference customization. Knowing how to record internal audio on mac using Recordit will help professionals create effective product description videos, demo videos, tutorials, presentations, etc. Record it also allows you to add commentaries to your recordings to make it more engaging!
- Easy to use interface
- Needs a subscription to unlock premium features
- Allows users to record only for five minutes.
Steps involved in recording internal audio on Mac using Recordit
- Step 1: Download Recordit from the official webpage and install it on your device.
- Step 2: In order to record both internal and external audio, go to 'System Preferences' and select the 'Sound' icon. Now, click on the 'Input tab' and select 'Internal Microphone”. For enabling the output source, click on the ‘Output’ tab, and select 'Aggregate Device'.
- Step 3: Open Recordit and choose 'Aggregate Device' as your audio source. Additionally, it also allows you to customize your preferences in case you'd like to customize it according to your own preference. It provides three basic choices to select as your Audio Source. You can choose to record only your microphone (external audio), or only system sound (internal audio), or both (system sound and microphone).
- Step 4: Now, you will be able to record your internal and external audio easily simply by clicking on the 'Record' button. Once you're done with the recording, click on the 'Stop' recording button. The recording will automatically be saved in the Recordit server. You would also be able to download the file to your device for future reference.
5. Record Internal Audio on Mac using QuickTime Player and Blackhole
The only problem that Mac users face with QuickTime Player is that it doesn't capture the internal audio from a system. You need to download additional tools such as 'Blackhole' or 'Soundflower'. Blackhole is a good replacement for Soundflower. In case you're not comfortable using Soundflower, you can download blackhole.
- Free to use
- Simple to use
- Offers 16 channels of audio output and input
- Can additionally be configured to accommodate 256 channels.
- Records all the audio on a single file
Steps involved in recording internal audio on Mac using QuickTime Player and Blackhole
- Step 1: Download Blackhole from the official page. Once the download is over, open the program and search 'Setup' in the spotlight search.
- Step 2: To set up Blackhole on your device, you will have to create a new 'Aggregate Device' that enables you to combine both blackhole (for recording internal audio) and your microphone (for recording external audio). In order to do that, head over to Audio Midi Setup and set up a new 'Aggregate Device' combining both these options (blackhole and microphone).
- Step 3: Restart QuickTime Player and choose ‘Aggregate Device’ as your ‘Input’ for the recording.
- Step 4: In order to hear your internal audio while recording, you will have to set up a multi-output device in the Audio Midi Setup with two options (that includes both your microphone and blackhole). Now, head over to Sound Preferences and select 'multi-output device'. Make sure you select blackhole as your multi-output device.
- Step 5: Now, you can easily start recording your audio. Open QuickTime Player and select 'New Audio Recording' under the 'File' menu. You will see a drop-down option next to the record button. Click on the drop-down option and select 'Aggregate Device'. Just make sure you have enabled the 'blackhole checkbox' as your audio device source in the Aggregate Device tab.
Now that you've understood how to record internal audio on Mac easily in 5 different audio recording tools, you can now create, record, and edit your audio and videos effortlessly.
Record and present your presentations, vlogs, tutorials, product descriptions confidently. Go ahead and start recording!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some tools to record audio/video for Mac users?
- OBS Studio,
- Monosnap and
2. Can I record both internal audio and external audio using QuickTime Player?
You would not be able to record internal audio using QuickTime Player. In order to record internal audio, you need to download an additional tool like Soundflower or Blackhole.
3. What are the features available for free users in Vmaker?
There are a ton of features available in Vmaker for free users. Most of the basic requirements needed for video creators are available for free. Some of the prominent features include:
- Unlimited number of recording
- Noise cancellation feature
- Provisions to switch across tabs and windows during your recording
- Access to record webcam, screen, and both simultaneously.
4. How to record internal audio on Mac without using soundflower?
If you're not comfortable using soundflower, you can try using blackhole. It's a great alternative for soundflower and can run smoothly on latest Mac versions.
- How To Record Your Computer Screen For Free
- How to Record Your Screen on Mac
- Everything You Need To Know About Video Emails
- Learn How to Record Zoom Meetings For Free
- Learn How To Perform A Mic Test For Free
- Best Screen Recorders for Mac
- How To Record Webex Meetings Easily
- How To Send Video Emails via Gmail
- Learn How To Record Zoom Meetings without Permission